Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My grey cells have ground to a halt...

I have strained to think of a blog to write in the last couple of weeks. I closed my eyes and tried to relax. Nothing, not a sentence. My creative grey cells were on strike. Ground to a halt...

But my thinking brain is buzzing with worries and questions... when will my breast and shoulder go red while I have this radiotherapy...how likely is fibrosis of the breast tissue... what will happen when I start the hormone treatment...can they see me when I am on the table in case I have a seizure... how much more tired am I going to get...is it possible to be more weary than this?...

I write it all down in my Breast Cancer Note book, lists of worries and questions to ask at each appointment. I tick some off when I chat to my GP on the phone but others spring in to take their place...

Then today after my 6th Radiotherapy treatment a smiling blond haired lady met me as I came out and took me to a private room to chat - a review meeting. She talked me through most things I had stored in the worry list... Some people never have a skin reaction while a lot do, it happens after two or so weeks...fibrosis can occur up to a few months after but is mild in most women...:the throbbing pain is caused by tissue inflammation and is normal...the Tamoxifen (hormone treatment) can cause weight gain and hot flushes, caffeine and stimulants can sometimes make them worse... drinking plenty of water can help the fatigue as it flushes out some of the effects of the treatment...yes they can see you in cameras but I will tell them you have epilepsy and make sure they keep a close eye...

With each explanation and answer I breathed a bit easier. I asked all the questions in my book and explained how I was feeling about the treatment, the embarrassment I felt each day, made worse because a man is part of my treatment team. An emotion that for me is overwhelming every other thought...she listened without judgement asked if there was anything they could do to make it easier and checked if I had someone to talk to...

I walked out of Oncology into a blue sky day and my spirit felt as bright as the sun. On the way home blogs sprung into my head. My thinking brain had been unclogged...

Normal service will be resumed shortly...


...The next day 

Today I am met by three ladies, the man has stayed out. I show them the emergency epilepsy drug I have in my bag which they can give me if I have long or multiple seizures... 'D' walks me round to their room and shows me the screen they are watching me on!...if only my medical history had been fully passed on! But today is a new day and the only thing that is real about this journey is the step I am taking at this moment...that's all there ever is... (mindfulness)

So for episode 7 of the radiotherapy show and for the first time I relax on the hard table and breathe calm breaths...

"You cant stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
Jon Kabat-Zinn

No comments:

Post a Comment